Arts spaces
Art Salons, Theaters, Museums
Date : 2009.07.16

Chienmu House


The Chien Mu House

Hours of operation: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays through Sundays.
Closed on Mondays.
Telephone: (8862) 2880-5809
Link: www2.scu.edu.tw/chienmu

Address: No. 72, Linxi Road, Taipei City
Transportation
(1) If arriving by car or tour bus, please provide advanced notice, so that we can arrange parking.
(2) By public transportation, take the TRTS Danshui line, and disembark at the Shilin Station, exit in the direction of Zhong Zheng Road, and transfer to any of the following bus lines: 304, Red 30, 255, 620, S 18 or S 19. Get off the bus at the Soochow University bus stop. From the main gate of Soochow University, walk straight to the end of the lane.

Architectural style
In 1967, the influential scholar of Chinese studies Mr. Chien Mu came to Taiwan and made his home in the Taipei suburb of Waishuangxi. For 23 years, he lived in this house near Soochow University. Known as Su Shu Lou (“the house of simple learning"), it was personally designed by the scholar's mother Ms. Chien Hu Mei-chi. Every brick and blade of grass on the estate is the result of many years of caring effort by its owner. Its rows of maple trees forming a corridor, and its gently swaying trimmed bamboo, offer a serene, simple and old-fashioned style.

Introduction
In 1989, Mr. Chien Mu passed away. In order to commemorate his scholarly contributions, the Taipei City Government established the Chien Mu Memorial Library at his original residence. In 2000 with the establishment of the Department of Cultural Affairs, the Taipei City Government renovated the original site, to honor Mr. Chien Mu's life of moral character and scholarly achievements, being careful to preserve the house's original aura of cultural cultivation. It was one of two residences of distinguished figures, along with the Lin Yutang House, to be first opened to the public as a cultural institution in Taiwan. In 2002, Taipei City commissioned Soochow University to manage the estate, and on March 29, 2002, it was officially reopened as the Chien Mu House.

 

  Wistaria House

 
Wistaria House

Hours of operation: 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., Mondays through Sundays
Contact information
Telephone: (8862) 2363-9459
Link: wistariahouse.com/English/index1.html

Address: No. 1, Lane 16, Xinsheng South Road, Taipei City
Transportation
By MRT: Take the Xindian line, disembarking at Gongguan Station.
By bus: Lines 284, 3, 15, 52, 18, 311, 505, or Chihnan Passenger Bus #1; disembark at either the "Civil Servant Training Center" or "Longan Elementary School" bus stops.

Architectural style:
Wistaria House was originally an old, one-story Japanese-style house. After it was damaged by a typhoon, half of the exterior of the structure was rebuilt as a two-story, Western-style house in 1960. Although it is a hybrid of two different architectural styles, through the meticulous placement of implements, art pieces and furniture, and the blending of historical hues, it ingeniously melds the two together, even creating an aesthetic atmosphere all its own.

Introduction
The teahouse got its name from an old wistaria plant that grew along the front eaves. Wistaria House has gained particular renown for its promotion of the traditional art of the tea ceremony, and was innovative in establishing itself as a place for preserving traditions of culture, art and the philosophy of spiritual cultivation. In addition, it has been the meeting place of social activists and scholarly critics, and many cultural groups have on occasion met here for seminars and performances. This special combination has given Wistaria House a unique cultural and historical spirit and artistic charm.

 

Red House


Red Theatre (The Red House of Ximen)

Hours of operation: 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Tuesdays through Fridays, open 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekends and national holidays.
Telephone: (8862) 2311-9380 Fax: (8862) 2311-9372
Link: www.redhouse.org.tw/

Address: No. 10, Chengdu Road, Taipei City
Transportation
By MRT: Take the Banqiao-Nangang line, disembarking at Ximen Station. Red Theatre is approximately a one-minute walk from Exit no. 1.
By bus: Sanchung Passenger Buses (Wuku-Taipei, Chungkang-Beimen, Huilung-Taipei), Chihnan Passenger Bus #3, 221, 232, 235, 640, 513, 621, 257, 18 or Blue 2. Car: parking spaces are available nearby.

Architectural style
The Red House of Ximen is an octagonal, two-story Western-style red-brick structure built in 1908. Originally called the “Octagon Market," it was designed by Kondo Juro, an architect working for the Japanese colonial government's civil engineering department. Its prominent features are red brick walls, and ceilings of steel reinforced cement. Its roof, however, may be its most unique feature: it is built from a framework of metal trusses, with a radially symmetrical shape, like an umbrella.

Introduction
The first floor is an art exhibition space and gift shop, presenting a variety of cultural products, and providing the public with a host of alternative shopping selections. The Cafe also provides an exceptionally valuable dining service. On holidays, it is frequently filled to capacity, and every day of the week, the fragrant aroma of coffee wafts through its halls. In the second floor theatre, the building's unique architectural structure of large steel beams and the charming old-style feel of its redbrick walls are displayed with nearly no decorative embellishment. The entire theatre has the feel of an old-fashioned teahouse. Seating is provided with special wooden tables and chairs, and hot tea provided by service personnel, allowing visitors to take in an evening of marvelous entertainment in the most relaxing manner imaginable. The theatre accommodates 200 people.

 

Guling St. Theater


Guling St. Avant-Garde Theatre (Old Guting Police Station)

Hours of operation: 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Tuesdays through Saturdays, open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sundays and national holidays.
Telephone: (8862) 2391-9393 Fax: (8862) 2391-5757
Link:  www.glt.org.tw/

Address: No. 2, Lane 5, Guling Street, Taipei City
Transportation
By MRT: Disembark at the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall Station, and take the Nanmen Market exit. Follow Nanhai Road in the direction of Chongqing Road, and walk for approximately five minutes.
By bus: Take bus No. 1, get off at the Guling St. Avant-Garde Theatre bus stop.

Introduction
Guling St. Avant-Garde Theatre was built in 1916. Originally, it was a military police station during the Japanese colonial era. In 1945, after Taiwan returned to Chinese control, it was renamed the Taipei City Police Department's Station No. 7. Then, due to district restructuring, it was renamed the Guting Police Station, and later the Zhongzheng District Station No. 2. In 1997, the building was placed under the control of the Taipei City Government Department of Information, and slated to become a venue for little theater performance. In 2001, the Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Government renamed the building the “Guling St. Avant-Garde Theatre." Because the building's original Baroque-style design features especially thick walls and a central area without pillars, it is extremely suitable for small-scale theatrical performances.
The Guling St. Avant-Garde Theatre features:
(1) The avant-garde theater, with the capacity for an audience of between 50 and 70 persons.
(2) The detention room: This area preserves the original appearance of the detention room from the theatre's previous incarnation as a police station.
(3) Rehearsal room: A perfect rehearsal space, with an area of over 1,000 square feet, and no obstructions from pillars.

 

Lin Yutang House


The Lin Yutang House

Hours of operation: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesdays through Sundays (cafe open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.). Closed Mondays.
Telephone: (8862) 2861-3003
Link: www.linyutang.org.tw/user-en/main.asp

Address: No. 141, Yangde Boulevard sec. 2, Shilin District, Taipei City
Transportation
Visitors can take the MRT and transfer to bus, in the following combinations. In each case, please disembark at the “Yungfu (Lin Yutang House)" bus stop. 1. MRT Shilin Station: Proceed to the Fulin Elementary School bus stop on Zhongzheng Road, and transfer to any of the following bus lines: 260, Red 5, 303, S 15, S 16 or S 17.
2. MRT Jiantan Station: Transfer to either Red 5 or 303.
3. MRT Taipei Main Station: Take bus No. 260.

Architectural style
The Lin Yutang House is located midway up the slopes of Yangmingshan. Built in 1966, it was personally designed by Mr. Lin Yutang. A traditional Chinese four-sided dwelling with interior courtyard, it also incorporates Spanish architectural features. An intermingling of Oriental and Occidental styles, it combines a modern feeling with classical beauty.

Introduction
In May of 1985, the Taipei City Government established the Lin Yutang Memorial Library, to commemorate the scholar's exceptional literary achievements. This was made possible due to the generous donation, by his wife Ms. Liao Tsui-feng, of his collected books, writings, manuscripts and other valuable objects.
The Lin Yutang House includes an exhibition room, featuring articles belonging to the former resident, completely preserving its original appearance. The library exhibits Mr. Lin Yutang's manuscripts, book collection, English language typewriter, etc. The bedroom displays the scholar's bed and family photographs. In the living room, one can find his antique dining table, chairs and sofa. On the dining room wall is hung a work of calligraphy with four Chinese characters meaning "Sanctuary of Moral Determination," personally written by Lin. Surrounding the dining table are chairs carved with the Chinese character for "Phoenix," designed in dedication to Lin's wife. In the "Reading, Seminar and Historical Document Collection Room" are held regularly scheduled lectures on literature and scholarly seminars. The in-house cafe is worthy of a poet's eloquent description. The central courtyard and other outdoor spaces are suitable for small-scale arts performances. The Lin Yutang House is a multifunctional arts space combining literature, relaxation, lectures and fine dining.

 

Mayor Residence Arts Salon


The Mayor's Residence Arts Salon

Hours of operation: 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Tuesdays through Sundays. Closed Mondays.
Telephone: (8862) 2396-9398 Fax: (8862) 2358-3548
Link:  www.mayorsalon.com.tw/

Address: No. 46, Xuzhou Road, Taipei City
Transportation
By MRT: Disembark at Shandao Temple Station on the Banqiao-Nangang line.
By bus: Lines 0 (South, Right), 36, 37, 249, 261, 263, 270, 621, 630, Renai Main Line, Ren'ai-Dayou; disembark at the Hangzhou South Road bus stop.

Architectural style
The building is a mix of Japanese and Western architectural styles, rarely seen among the residential buildings surviving from Taiwan's Japanese colonial era. Surrounded on all four sides by lawn and gently swaying bamboo trees, the Mayor's Residence is striking for its green, lush and secluded environment, serenaded by the gurgling of water in a small pond, the humming of cicadas and the singing of birds. The building's floor plan utilizes a cross design, allowing the various wings of the building to extend into the yard, so that every room looks out on the green exterior. The building has been the home of ten Taipei mayors, one who went on to become Taiwan's first democratically elected president. It has now shed the halo of politics, and taken up the angelic wings of a beautiful treasure of the arts.

Introduction
First built in 1935 as the Taipei Mayor's Residence by the Japanese colonial administration, it continued to house the city's mayors after the island returned to Chinese rule. Kao Yu-shu, Chang Feng-hsu, Ling Yang-kang, Lee Teng-hui, Shao En-szu, Yang Chin-hu, Wu Poh-hsiung, Hsu Shui-te, Huang Ta-chou and Chen Shui-bian all lived here doing their tenures as mayor of Taipei. In 2000, it was rechristened the Mayor's Residence Arts Salon, and officially opened to serve the public.

The Mayor's Residence Arts Salon now offers a restaurant, a lecture/performance hall (with a seating capacity of 100), a Japanese-style lecture room (for small-scale meetings and seminars), two art galleries, and two open-air courtyards. In addition, the Mayor's Residence Arts Salon also provides several activity spaces available for rent to organizations or groups. The Salon offers the public an array of educational and cultural events, including art exhibitions and regularly scheduled musical performances, lectures on art and culture, and classes.

 

taipei story house


Taipei Story House (formerly Yuanshan Villa)
Hours of operation: 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Tuesdays through Sundays.
Telephone: (8862) 2587-5565
Link: www.storyhouse.com.tw

Address: No. 181-1, Zhongshan North Road, sec. 3, Taipei City
Transportation
By MRT: Disembark at Yuanshan Station on the Danshui Line, and transfer to the “Red 2" shuttle bus.
By bus: Lines 40, 42, 203, 208, 216, 218, 220, 224, 247, 260, 277, 279, 287, 308, 310 or 612; disembark at the Yuanshan bus stop.

History
Between 1913 and 1914 (during the Japanese colonial period), Chen Chaojun, a prominent tea merchant of the Taipei district of Dadaocheng, built Yuanshan Villa, a charming cottage in the British Tudor style, in the Yuanshan area near the banks of the beautiful Keelung River, as a place to entertain local dignitaries and overseas guests. In 2002, the Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Government invited retired attorney Ms. Chen Kok-choo to help found Taipei Story House. Formally opened to the public in 2003, it offers Taipei City a new space for relaxation, art and culture. It promotes a rich lifestyle centered on the humanities through a variety of events, in the hope of reviving in the minds of local and foreign visitors alike the beautiful memories of Taipei in days gone by.

The building's design includes a first floor of brick support walls, and a second floor built of wood. Across the outside of the upper wall, curvilinear wood strips wind vertically and horizontally, forming an elegant tree-branch pattern, a special feature of British architecture during the Tudor period. The design of the staircase is reminiscent of a small pagoda. Its roof, built of copper plates, has gradually acquired a patina of green, attesting to the passage of time. The gable above the entrance features stained glass in green, yellow and red. Inside, you will find two elegant fireplaces, as well as a large number of Art Nouveau tiles and ceiling lamps with bas-relief floral patterns, popular at the beginning of the 20th century and rich in natural images of flowers and trees. This form of architecture is extremely rare among the extant historical buildings of Taiwan.

Taipei Story House includes: 1. Exhibition Galleries: Three multifunctional areas suitable for refined small-scale exhibitions, lectures, tea ceremonies or events related to historical sites, lifestyle, art and culture. 2. Audio-visual classroom: For small-scale seminars, classes, conferences, and for the presentation of audio-visual information related to exhibitions. 3. Gift Shop: Presents exquisite works created by artists in a variety of media. 4. Story Tea House: Refined Western-style cuisine provided by The Landis Taipei Hotel.

 
SPOT Taipei at night

Spot-Taipei Film House

Hours of operation: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m., Monday through Sunday.
Telephone: (8862) 2511-7786 Fax: (8862) 2560-5222
Link: www.spot.org.tw/index_e.htm

Address: No.18, Zhongshan North Road, sec. 2, Taipei City
Transportation
By MRT: Disembark at Zhongshan Station on the Danshui line; walk approximately one minute from exit 4.

Introduction
Spot-Taipei was originally the U.S. consulate in Taiwan. Foreign consulates first began to appear in Taiwan at the end of the Qing Dynasty. German and British consulates were established in Taipei, Tamsui, Tainan (then known as Anping) and Kaohsiung (then known as Dagou). The United States, however, established its first consulate on the island on Oct. 8, 1926 (the first year of the Showa era). Its original address was #9, subdistrict 4 of Onari district, in what was then known as the city of “Taihoku." This address served as the American Embassy through the end of World War II. In 1950, Karl L. Rankin was appointed temporary charge d'affairs and envoy to the Republic of China, and in 1953, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower promoted him to Ambassador to China. Rankin, who remained in the post until 1957, chose this building, with its classically elegant exterior and green surroundings, as the ambassador's residence. In turn, many other U.S. ambassadors to China -- Everett F. Drumright (1958-1962), Ian G. Kirk (1962-1963), Jerauld Wright (1963-1965), Walter P. McConaughy (1966-1974) and Leonard Unger (1974-1978) -- would make their home here.

This two-story Western-style building with white exterior is stylistically similar to the colonial architecture of the southern United States. Its layout is roughly square. The main entrance faces north, while a veranda is attached to the eastern side of the building, providing shade. The interior of the building is designed with a central corridor and staircase, and features columns in a simple Grecian design. On February 20, 1997, the building was designated a Class 3 historical site of Taipei City. Afterward, with the assistance of the Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Government, and the donation of NT$60 million by TSMC Education and Culture Foundation, the building was renovated and renamed Spot-Taipei. The Taiwan Film & Culture Association has received the commission to manage its operation. What was originally the garage portion of the structure was rebuilt as Spot-Taipei Film House, and Spot-Taipei officially opened to the public on Nov. 10, 2002.

The Taiwan Film & Culture Association envisions Spot-Taipei as “a venue of creative exchange, integrating the charm of an historical site with the art of film." It is hoped to serve as a meeting point for Taiwan's artists and creative industry workers -- a place where creativity happens. Through film festivals, symposiums, workshops and other events, Spot-Taipei hopes to facilitate the exchange of ideas across a spectrum of disciplines, and stimulate creativity. We anticipate that the integration of this historical space with motion pictures will create an altogether new milieu, blending the historical significance of the grounds with the enthralling art of film, expanding the city's cultural vision, and increasing its cultural depth.

 


   ↑ TOP
Web Priority 2 Accessibility Approval For international callers, please dial 886-2-2720-8889. For callers in Taipei City, please dial 1999 for the Citizen Hotline. For callers outside of Taipei City, please dial 886-2-2720-8889.
Copyright 2009 Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Govement
Best viewed with IE 6.0 or higher with 1024 x 768 resolution
Privacy & Security Policy | Accessibility