Datong District Landmarks
Date : 2009.05.25
Taipei Confucius Temple

Taipei Confucius Temple was built in 1879 when the Qing court established Taipei as a prefectural capital of Northern Taiwan. Back then, the literary and martial temples were built inside the southern gate of the city.

The temple was razed during the Japanese colonial era, and then rebuilt in 1930 by designer and architect Wang Yi-Shun, with the help of the city’s gentry, government officials and local citizens.

Construction began in 1927, and in April 1928 the beam-raising ceremony was held for Da Cheng Hall, and work began on Yi Gate. By 1930, Chong Sheng Shrine, Yi Gate and the two small rooms to the east and west of the main building were completed. On August 27, 1930, Confucius’s birthday was celebrated in Taipei for the first time in over thirty years.

In 1939, Ling Xing Gate, Li Gate, Yi Path, Hong Gate, Pan School, Pan Pond and Wan Ren Palace Wall were completed one after another.

Built in a classical Chinese architecture style, Taipei Confucius Temple is a popular tourist attraction that has won international acclaim. When you visit, don’t forget to take a look at the permanent exhibits showing the instruments, costumes, and old pictures of the famous Confucius Temple of Qu Fu in Shandong Province, China.

Confucius temple


Dalongdong Baoan Temple

The temple enshrines deities from Taiwanese folk religions, the main deity being Baoshen Dadi (保生大帝), the God of Medicine. The deity was brought to Taiwan in 1742 by immigrants from Tongan in Fujian Province.

Established in 1805, the Dalongdong Baoan Temple is considered archetypical of Taiwanese historic and temple architecture. Built to seek the protection of the people who settled on the island of Taiwan, the temple was therefore named "Baoan", meaning "protection for the people".

Baoan Temple consists of three halls – the front hall, main hall and back hall - with rooms to the right and left for the purpose of giving protection. It is a timber and stone structure with elaborate ornamentation. The construction work began in 1805, and the temple was completed in 1830.

Prior to this restoration, the temple had been renovated four times, most recently in 1967. In 1994, the Baoan Temple Committee proposed a restoration plan to repair the roof and wooden structures, remove inappropriate elements and restore religious ornamentation. Work began in 1995 and the restoration project was completed in 2002. The restoration was entirely funded by the temple’s followers.

Reconstruction was based on the principle of preserving the original appearance. In addition, the process of restoring the temple combined the delicate craftsmanship of old masters with modern techniques to improve the physical construction. After seven years of restoration, the historical building revealed its magnificence to the public. This project also won the annual UNESCO Asia- Pacific Heritage Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation.

Dalongdong Baoan temple


Dadaocheng Xiahai Cheng Huang Temple

Historical records show that Dadaocheng merchants conducted trade with mainland China as far back as the 1800s. During that era, settlers came from across the Taiwan Strait and built a temple on Dihua Street to house their City God, known as Cheng Huang Yeh. 

More than 100 images of the City God were brought from temples throughout the island--as well as from the ancestral temple of the deity in China, as the first gilded image of the City God was escorted across the Taiwan Strait in 1821 by Chen Chin-jung of Fujian Province.

The temple is one of Taiwan's most prosperous shrines, although occupying only a 141-square-meter area on the crowded street. The City God worshipped there is reputedly helpful to the faithful in finding lost items and achieving a prosperous life. 

More than 100 images of the City God were brought from temples throughout the island--as well as from the ancestral temple of the deity in China, as the first gilded image of the City God was escorted across the Taiwan Straits in 1821 by Chen Chin-jung of Fujian Province.

Originally, the City God was enshrined in a bakery established by Chen. The shop's great prosperity convinced residents of the area that the god was indeed capable of bestowing great blessings, and funds were raised to build a temple. 

The god was first housed in a temple in the northern Taiwan business and political center of Mengjia, but a dispute between clans in the area forced Chen to move to the relatively new area of the city known as Dadaocheng. Construction of the temple on Dihua Street, now designated a Class 3 historical site, began in 1856 and finished three years later.

Each year, on the 13th Day of the Fifth Month of the lunar calendar, crowds from across the island gather in Dihua Street to celebrate the City God's birthday, jamming Xiahai Cheng Huang Temple to such an extreme that it is said that most of the thousands who come actually see more of each other than of the gilded image of Cheng Huang Yeh.

Dadaocheng Xiahai Cheng Huang Temple

Former Taipei City Hall Building

Built in 1921, the former Taipei City Hall building was originally the home of Jan Cheng Elementary School. Opened in the period of Japanese rule, the school had a student body that was predominantly Japanese with only a handful of Taiwanese students. In the post-war era, it was used to house the city government and became an important landmark for local citizens.

The two-story brick building is a model of architectural symmetry. Above the central hall is the spacious old assembly room with its high ceiling. A bell tower rises from the center of the roof highlighting its distinctive architectural style. As Taipei developed, the city government moved to a new location in Xinyi District, designating the frontispiece of the building as a historic landmark. After refurbishment, the building was reopened as the home of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Taipei (MOCA Taipei) in May 2001.

Former Taipei City Hall building
*
   ↑ TOP
Web Priority 2 Accessibility Approval For international callers, please dial 886-2-2720-8889. For callers in Taipei City, please dial 1999 for the Citizen Hotline. For callers outside of Taipei City, please dial 886-2-2720-8889.
Copyright 2009 Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Govement
Best viewed with IE 6.0 or higher with 1024 x 768 resolution
Privacy & Security Policy | Accessibility